Opera Australia has announced it will hold a free Behind the Scenes at the Opera event on Sunday 23 February 2020 at the Joan Sutherland Theatre, giving the public an insight into how a fully staged opera is brought to life.
The showcase will reveal how an opera is produced from a behind-the-scenes perspective and will feature a full program of interactive foyer displays and on-stage demonstrations from a variety of departments including wigs, wardrobe, props, and makeup, giving the public unique insight into the busy life of one of the world’s leading opera companies.
Ask burning questions at one of the Q&A sessions with an opera singer, musician, conductor or director taking place every hour in the Joan Sutherland Theatre. Learn to sing an opera chorus, or try on an authentic costume from one of OA’s past productions.
This is a rare opportunity for guests to watch OA’s talented artisan wigmakers hand-knot wigs strand by strand, listen to Carmen stage calls from one of their Stage Managers, and take a look at the history of OA with some unique never-before-seen items on display. Activities include:
In the theatre:
• Hear the stage manager’s instructions and watch how it plays out on stage
• Q&As with an opera singer, a musician, a conductor and a director
• Learn to sing an opera chorus
In the foyers:
• Try on an original opera costume
• Watch one of our professional wig-knotters create a hand-made wig
• Watch elaborate stage make-up applied step-by-step by OA make-up artist
• View costumes, wigs, set models, props and musical scores up close
• See the performance and rehearsal schedule of a week in the life of Opera Australia
• Take selfies with an actor in full opera costume
Behind the Scenes at the Opera is open to everyone and is suitable for opera lovers and those new to the art form. Families are welcome. This is a free event – though bookings are essential.
Behind the Scenes at the Opera
Joan Sutherland Theatre – Sydney Opera House, Bennelong Point
Event: Sunday 23 February 2020 (12:00pm – 4:00pm)
Information and Bookings: www.opera.org.au (free event)
Image: Behind the Scenes at the Opera – photo courtesy of Opera Australia