Surrounded by a fabulous coterie of glitterati – family, friends, fans, supporters, lovers past and present and members of the press – prolific cabaret diva Mama Alto launched her 2016 season in the glamorous surrounds of Entrecôte City.
Between the high tea, surprise musical numbers from Mama Alto and pianist extraordinaire Miss Chief, pink champagne, atmospheric accordion stylings from William Elm, and the season announcement itself lead by emcee Caleb Darwent and Auslan interpreter Ilana Charnelle.
The party heralds in another intense year of cabaret and jazz from the singer who, according to Darwent, “uses her performances to create a place for people who mainstream society would rather reject and ignore… creating an intimate connection with every member of her audience, inspiring us all to be unabashedly ourselves.”
Mama Alto’s 2016 season features:
- an intimate set of lounge performances, Mama Alto: The Salon Series, including the upcoming appearance at Hares & Hyenas on Saturday 27 February for the Beat of Brunswick St festival;
- an evolving piece of repertory work throughout the year, Mama Alto: Torch Songs, which will feature an ever changing selection from the 200 odd jazz standards within the Mama Alto repertoire of sumptuous ballads, fierce blues scorchers and poignant torch songs, premiering on Friday 4 March at The Butterfly Club before touring to other locations;
- a feast for the senses, Mama Alto: Delicacies, which will see the culinary skills of Entrecôte combined with the musical tastes of Mama Alto & Miss Chief in several fabulous events of taste, sound and sight;
- continued appearances with legendary burlesque house Finucane & Smith after Mama Alto’s wildfire run in Melbourne, Brisbane and Havana with the Glory Box in 2015;
- an immersive theatrical experience, Mama Alto: Blues in the Night which will transform the Chapel off Chapel theatre into an underground jazz age speakeasy on 9 & 10 December; and
- to round out the year, the Fifth Annual Mama Alto Christmas Special with the holiday tradition of misfits and miscreants coming together in the spirit of love and vintage yuletide tunes on Sunday 18 December.
Image: Mama Alto – photo by Trent Pace Photography