Kurt Phelan to make New York debut

Kurt Phelan in Phelan GroovyKurt Phelan became an Aussie household name after conjuring his inner Patrick Swayze, playing the lead role in the Australian production of Dirty Dancing.

Now he explodes onto the New York stage for the first time with his acclaimed cabaret, Phelan Groovy – a hilarious, access-all-areas romp through his mind both on and off stage, which left audiences across Australia screaming for more.

No stranger to the stage, Phelan has performed lead roles in some of Australia’s biggest musicals of the past decade. From Singin’ in the Rain to Rent, Saturday Night Fever to Priscilla: Queen Of The Dessert, now he goes rogue and takes off the mask, stripping himself ‘bare’ and showing his true passion for storytelling, Aussie quick wit and good old fashioned fun.

“I love cabaret, the rustle of the crowd, the pop of the Champagne but mostly, the intimacy,” said Phelan on his impending New York dates. “I wanted to create something truly fun, giving people a slice of the riot that happens inside my head and I can’t wait to pack up my pet kangaroo, throw the shrimp on the BBQ and share this show with you all in NYC.”

Phelan Groovy is an hour of unabashed laughter and music that asks audience to revel in its self-deprecation. It’s a rollercoaster ride of emotions, laughs and twisted-takes of songs you know and love. From Tina Turner, to Lorde, to showtunes and back again. There’s songs from the womb, a pitch for President and of course a singalong to boot – all with the tag line, “never let the truth get in the way of a good story”!

“When I was young I learnt to only say 10% of what I think… Well, this show is the other 90% and it’s a hoot,” says Phelan.

Part biographical, part behind-the-scenes voyeurism, and all entertainment, Phelan Groovy plays New York’s Don’t Tell Mama on Thursday 16 and Sunday 19 June 2016. For more information, visit: www.donttellmamanyc.com for details.

Image: Kurt Phelan

Comments are closed.