Adelaide’s festive season is set for a captivating start as the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra’s Christmas Unwrapped fills the Festival Theatre with Christmas cheer and the sounds of music, song and laughter, this December.
Guided by renowned conductor Guy Noble, the ASO, soprano Desiree Frahn, Graduate Singers, and Elder Conservatorium Chorale will unwrap a wonderful festive spirit as they come together to perform a range of Christmas favourites, beloved classics, and sing along carols to immerse yourself in Christmas charm.
Guy Noble said that he was excited to return to Adelaide for one of his favourite events of the year. “We have so much wonderful music in our Christmas stocking, I’m looking forward to unwrapping it all in the Festival Theatre,” he said.
“We have professional singers on stage, but the best part is our audience gets to sing along as well. So, bring your family, your friends and your vocal cords!” said Mr Noble.
Emma Gregan, Tutti Horn player for the ASO agreed. “Christmas Unwrapped will be a wonderful opportunity for families to enjoy a night of much-loved Christmas music together,” she said.
“I’m really looking forward to having conductor Guy Noble back in town to lead us through some sing-along carols alongside our favourite Christmas-themed symphonic works to wrap up 2023 in style,” said Ms Gregan.
With a wealth of opportunity to join in on the fun and frivolity, this concert will fill Adelaide with the joy of Christmas. The program will include:
- Malcom Arnold’s The Holly and the Ivy (Fantasy on Christmas Carols) – a whimsical Christmas melody from the movie the Holly and the Ivy.
- Sergei Prokofiev’s Lieutenant Kijé: Troika – a piece from a Russian film that captures the essence of a snowy winter sleigh ride.
- Howard Blake’s The Snowman – the enchanting sounds of the cult-favourite film of the same name that radiates cozy feelings of a snowy winter day.
- Leroy Anderson’s Sleigh Ride – a delightful depiction of a sleigh bell ride with jingling bells and all.
- Plenty of sing-along carols including an interactive 12 Days of Christmas.
Adelaide Symphony Orchestra: Christmas Unwrapped
Festival Theatre – Adelaide Festival Centre, King William Road, Adelaide
Performances: 15 & 16 December 2023
Information and Bookings: www.aso.com.au
Image: Guy Noble, Gemma Phillips and Emma Gregan – photo by Claudia Raschella