A panel of judges, including National Geographic photographer Michaela Skovranova, Magnum Photo Agency member Trent Parke and TV personality Justine Clarke, selected 28 finalist images to feature in the Australian Life online exhibition, with the chance to win a $10,000 cash prize.
From loud bursts of colour to quiet family moments, the finalist images paint a picture of Australia’s unique personalities, including:
- We’re only here for the frills: a seniors’ dance group from Fremantle
- Emu on Mica Street: a wild emu wandering through residential streets in Broken Hill
- Unbearable loss: a koala receiving hospital treatment in Port Macquarie
- It always rains before kick-off: rain pours down on a young footy fan in the Northern Territory
- Feeding time on the farm: camels feeding during a severe drought in the Hunter Valley
- Sardie: a toddler cools down in an esky to escape the 40 degree heat in Broome
“The variety of images we’ve received really demonstrate the wonderful diversity of Australia’s landscapes and communities – and of the fabulous creativity of so many Australians,” said Lord Mayor Clover Moore.
“Each of the 28 finalists has captured a beautiful image, each portraying a unique story from many different walks of life. And each one, going beyond the famous and iconic to reveal more about what makes Australia the nation it is today.”
The 28 finalist images, and the stories behind each photograph, will feature in the Australian Life online gallery, curated by photographer Sandy Edwards. The winner will be announced by the City on 16 September.
For the first time, there will be a People’s Choice award, with a $5,000 Olympus photography pack, also to be announced on 16 September.
Australian Life is part of the City of Sydney’s year-round Art & About program of events and temporary art projects in unusual spaces throughout the city. For more information and to view the finalists, visit: www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au for details.
Image: We’re Only Here For The Frills – photo by Lidia D’Opera