This new series of pre-recorded concerts follows on from the success of its two live-streamed events last week, which were collectively viewed by more than 100,000 people from around the world.
In response to the coronavirus measures taken by the Federal and Victorian State Government on live audiences and mass gatherings, audiences can now join the orchestra on the MSO YouTube Channel from the comfort of their own home to remain connected and engaged.
From this weekend, the MSO will also present a series of pre-recorded chamber ensemble concerts curated by Principal Viola Christopher Moore on Sundays at 3.00pm.
MSO Managing Director, Sophie Galaise said the Orchestra must keep the music going and remain socially connected. “One hundred thousand music lovers across six continents tuned in to our first two live-streamed performances. We look forward to sharing more music with you in the coming weeks to keep the music going.”
“At the MSO, we have chosen to transform a big challenge into an opportunity and share our concerts online. Music is good for the soul and for mental health and this initiative to Keep the Music Going provides a platform for our audiences to remain musically united,” said Ms Galaise.
The program tonight (Thursday 26 March – 7.30pm) is titled Tognetti and the Lark Ascending – conducted by Sir Andrew Davis with violinist Richard Tognetti – and features Britten’s Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes; Lutoslawski’s Partita; Vaughan Williams’ The Lark Ascending; and Rachmaninov’s Symphonic Dances.
Stay tuned to MSO’s social media platforms for updates on upcoming online concerts and more. For more information, visit: www.mso.com.au for details.
Image: Richard Tognetti with Members of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (supplied)